From SIOC Wiki
Revision as of 01:18, 10 August 2008 by Cloud
- Please note that the start date for this competition has been delayed while we install a secure authentication mechanism for accessing the data sets.
The contest begins on the 1st August 2008 and will end on the 30th September 2008. If an extension is granted by the contest organisers, this will be posted on the website data.sioc-project.org.
- The purpose of this contest is to generate interesting applications or creations that make use of community data represented in the SIOC Semantic Web format. All rights to these creations will remain with the contest participants (not including the underlying data). Neither DERI nor boards.ie Ltd. will acquire any commercial rights to these applications or creations as submitted through this contest.
- The copyright to all data remains with the creators. Up until now, this data has been publicly viewable, but it was difficult to leverage it without any added semantics due to the fact that it was embedded in heavily-styled HTML pages.
- The contest is open to anyone except researchers with DERI and employees of boards.ie Ltd.
- Current and former researchers with DERI or employees of boards.ie Ltd., together with members of their immediate families (parent, child, sibling and spouse of each) and those living in their same households, are ineligible to enter and participate in the contest or to be awarded or retain any contest prize.
- To enter, please view the guidelines on the entry page.
- Participants are welcomed either as individuals or as teams made up of several persons. In the case of teams, one person must be designated as the team leader and will be solely responsible for receiving communications from the contest organisers and for sharing prizes among team members. Participants can represent themselves or be the authorised representatives of a company or academic institution.
- Participants may submit as many entries as they wish.
- There are three prizes in total.
- The first prize is an Amazon.com voucher for $4000.
- The second prize is an Amazon.com voucher for $2000.
- The third prize is an Amazon.com voucher for $1000.
- A participant is eligible to win and be awarded only one prize.
- If a participant is an employee of a corporation or academic institution, enrolled as a student or representing their employer or academic institution in this contest, it is their sole responsibility to review, understand and abide by their employer's or academic institution's policies regarding eligibility to participate in the contest. If a participant is found to be in violation of their school's or employer's policies, they will be disqualified from entering the contest and from being awarded or retaining contest prizes. We disclaim any and all liability or responsibility for disputes arising between a student or employee and their school or employer related to this contest.
- At the end of this period, submissions will be judged by a panel of three experts acting as qualified independent judges. If no prize can be awarded, the contest will reopen and new submissions will be considered according to the protocol described above. The decisions of the contest judges are final. Application of the foregoing judging criteria to eligible contest entries in the contest shall be at the judges' reasonable discretion and, as to elements of the judging criteria involving matters of subjectivity, at the judges' sole discretion.
- During and after the contest, participants may not redistribute the data sets. This data may be used for research purposes but it may not be used for any commercial purpose.
- The full data sets may not be republished on another site. It should not be possible to crawl the complete set of data from a site associated with an entry submission; rather the data should be accessible in a limited form.
- In the event that a prize-winning participant cannot be reasonably notified or confirmed based on two attempts (and further attempts at our sole discretion), if a contest prize is declined, if a potential winner is not in compliance with these rules or is not eligible for award of a contest prize for whatever reason, the contest will remain open and an alternate potential prize winner will be chosen and verified in accordance with these rules.
- Awarded prizes in the form of the aforementioned Amazon.com vouchers will be sent to the winning participant or nominated team leader 4-6 weeks after we have declared a winner. Return of a contest prize or failure of contest prize delivery will result in disqualification and an alternative potential winner will be chosen and verified in accordance with these rules.
- Any costs or expenses associated with the acceptance and use of any contest prize vouchers are the sole responsibility of the contest prize winners. All contest prize details are at our sole discretion. A contest prize winner may make no substitutions or assignment of a contest prize.
- Prizes should be retained by individuals only in conformity with any applicable policies of their employers or academic institutions regarding receipt and retention of contest prizes. If an employer's or school's policies are applicable, it is the participant's sole and ultimate responsibility, in consultation with their employer or school, to determine how and if any contest prize will be retained and/or distributed and accounted for and we assume no responsibility for the decisions made by such employers or schools regarding this issue.
- The organisers reserve the right to update the rules at any time during or after the contest, if clarification or corrections are required.